A big part of the journey I’m on is to a healthier me, which means healthier food. Now that it’s fall, I’ve been craving soups all the time! I scanned through my clean eating board on Pinterest and found this soup I’d been meaning to make, so I made a quick trip to my local Trader Joe’s and got to cooking!
This is my version of that black bean soup! (There’s a printable version below.)
*Disclaimer: the original recipe says it should be 10 minutes in prep time, but I’m about the slowest chopper and dicer ever, so it took me about 20 minutes. Plus I’m not used to this kitchen yet so that didn’t help!
Black Bean Soup
A healthy black bean soup, almost like a vegetarian chili.
- 3 slices of bacon, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 can corn kernels, drained
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 cups tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Sour cream (optional for garnish)
- In a stock pot, cook the bacon over medium high heat until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crispy. Remove the bacon and lower the heat to medium.
- Add the chopped onion to the bacon fat and cook it until it starts to soften, about 2-3 minutes. Add in the garlic, red bell pepper, and corn and stir it all together. Add in the ground cumin and stir some more until everything is coated in the cumin. Add the tomato paste, chicken broth, and black beans. Raise the heat and bring the pot to a boil. Once it’s boiling, lower the heat until the soup is just simmering. Add the salt and pepper and let the soup simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To garnish, first fill each bowl with the soup. Add a dollop of sour cream and enjoy!